Thursday, March 31, 2011

In Praise of Trees

I think that I shall never see anything more lovely than a tree... I apologize Joyce Kilmer for rearranging  the lines of your lovely poem but it is true I love trees in all of their amazing shapes and sizes. Two years ago Better Homes and Gardens or as I call it in my head (Better Homes Than Mine) featured a Seattle rooftop garden with a variety of trees planted in containers. It was a light bulb moment for me!

It turns out that many Japanese Maples love to grow in containers or at least they grow so slow that they don't mind being in a container.  Who knew that there are also a wide variety of mini fruit trees that can also grow happily in containers?

So here I am two years later and I might need a trees anonymous program. In containers, I now have 3 fruit trees, 4 Japanese maples, 1 compact hinoki falsecypress, 1 crepe myrtle, and in the ground I have 2 apple colonnade trees, 2 dogwoods, and 1 mystery tree. Yes, that's right 13 trees on 640 sq. ft.






No comments:

Post a Comment