Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I see some strawberries in our future...


Some of the fondest memories I have of my childhood are the foods that my grandmothers made and grew. My grandma Smith, who lived an hour east of St Louis in Illinois, always had a strawberry patch growing behind the garage.  Every June, we picked fresh, sweet sun-kissed strawberries. I love California but by the time its strawberries have traveled 2,500 miles to my grocery store they are a little lacking in the taste department.  So when I decided  this year to add some raised beds to the middle of the yard in order to maximize my food growing space, the first raised bed I planned was a tiered square bed (I borrowed the idea from Gardener's Supply...wow, I forgot how pretty theirs was) dedicated to strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment